KETO BLACK FOREST CAKE
Recipe by: Jenn Jonkman of Hale Holistics
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
My Black Forest Cake is an almost sugarless black forest cake. It is Keto friendly and oh, so tasty! It's black forest cake. What else can I say about it?
|Serving Size||1 Slice of 1/6 cake|
|Nutrition Per Serving|
Sponge Cake Layers
9 large eggs room temperature
1 cup monk fruit sugar
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 tbsp butter melted, room temperature
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 packets powdered gelatin
3.5 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp cherry vodka or rum
2 oz. powdered swerve
1 lb. pitted sour cherries
3 tbsp. cherry vodka or rum
2 oz. 90% dark chocolate
Sponge Cake Layers
Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line bottoms of three 8" or 9" cake pans with parchment paper.
- Spray or butter the sides.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 9 eggs with the whisk attachment for 1 minute on high speed.
- With the mixer on, very slowly add 1 cup erythritol and continue beating on high speed a full 8 minutes. The resulting consistency should be will be thick and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.
- Fold them into batter slowly with a spatula.
- Once all flour is in, continue to fold just until no streaks of flour remain. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to get any pockets of flour while trying not to deflate the batter.
- Fold in the vanilla and room temp butter until incorporated.
- Divide the batter amongst the three pans as evenly as you can
- Bake immediately for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack
Cherry Filling and Syrup
- Roughly chop pitted sour cherries and place in a medium bowl with 3 Tbsp cherry vodka or rum.
- Let the cherries sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes while stirring a couple of times.
- Drain cherries in a sieve over a bowl. Keep the cherries and syrup.
- Dissolve gelatine according to instructions.
- Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream with whisk attachment on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered erythritol and 1 tbsp of cherry vodka (or rum) and beat on high for another minute.
- Add dissolved gelatine and beat for another minute or two until stiff and spreadable.
Assembling the Cake
- Place first sponge cake layer on a cake stand and brush with 1/3 of the syrup.
- Cover top with about 1 cup frosting and top with 1/2 of the chopped cherries.
- Repeat with remaining layers and top with the flattest layer.
- Fill the cracks along the sides of cake with frosting, then frost the top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Leave some of the frosting in a piping bag in the fridge for the top frosting (optional).
- The easy way is to run a potato peeler under hot water to heat and shave the chuck of chocolate.
- Cover sides and top of cake with chocolate shavings leaving a 1" perimeter on top for piping frosting (optional)
- Refrigerate the finished cake for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.